ONLINE 2nd GRADE
Personalize your child’s second grade education.
Elementary school is a time for your child to explore and create—a time for them to develop the critical thinking, problem-solving, and time-management skills they need to build a foundation for future learning.
Each child grows at their own pace, however, which is often ignored in the one-size-fits-all model of traditional education. At K12, we believe each child is uniquely brilliant and their learning environment should support that, providing children with the tools they need to thrive.
K12-powered online second grade programs offer your child a personalized education experience on a schedule that works for you and your family.
How does online second grade work?
At K12-powered schools, online second grade curriculum is mastery-based. This style of teaching allows second graders to learn and progress at their own pace, ensuring each child has mastered his or her lessons before moving on to new subjects.
As your child's parent or legal guardian, you act as his or her Learning Coach. Your role is to make sure your child completes their lessons and assignments to stay on track. Learning Coaches also work closely with online second grade teachers to monitor student progress and success.
What options does K12 offer for online second grade programs?
- Online Public School. K12-powered online public schools can offer you and your young learner more freedom over your schedule than brick-and-mortar schools can typically provide. K12-powered online public elementary schools are full-time and tuition-free*—just like traditional public schools—and instruction is led by state-certified teachers.
- Online Private School. K12 also powers two private online elementary schools, K12 Private Academy and The Keystone School. Please be advised that private schools do charge tuition.
- Online Courses. If you are satisfied with your child's current academic environment, but your child needs extra help in a certain subject or wants to be challenged in the classroom, you may be interested in supplementing your child's education with individual K12 online second grade courses, available for purchase.
Online Second Grade K12 Curriculum
Review our list of online elementary school programs and courses to determine if K12 is a good fit for your second grader.
- Language Arts and English. Second grade students develop important reading and writing skills, and learn the basics of phonics and grammar.
- Math. Courses cover basic arithmetic, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Online games and animations illustrate concepts, while challenge problems, regular practice, and review ensure mastery of basic skills.
- Science. Second graders conduct hands-on experiments and study introductory terms and concepts in life, earth, and physical sciences.
- History and Social Sciences. History, geography, and civics open young minds to far-off lands, distant times, and diverse cultures.
- World Languages. Second grade students learn to read, write, speak, and listen for meaning through simple narratives, regular writing and speaking challenges, and games.
- Art. Young learners are introduced to great works of art from different cultures and eras, and learn the elements of art. Students also create their own works of art such as mobiles, collage, and stained glass.
- Music. The Spotlight on Music courses promote successful music learning as students explore and build foundational music skills. Lessons include music appreciation, music history, and more. Students engage in a variety of interactive learning activities such as singing, creative, dancing, virtual instruments, videos, etc.
Find an online second grade program for your child.
Type your zip code into our School Finder tool to locate a K12-powered online second grade program near you. Please be advised that some schools only serve residents of specific areas.
*Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.