During the early elementary years, K12’s curriculum focuses on:
- Phonics instruction which teaches the relationship between sounds and letters, which helps students decode words and fosters early reading skills.
- Sight words recognition which introduces frequently used words that don’t necessarily follow phonetic rules and helps improve reading fluency.
- Vocabulary building that exposes students to a rich vocabulary through diverse texts and materials and enhances their comprehension and language skills.
- Comprehension strategies that guide students to understand, interpret, and analyze texts to foster critical thinking and a deeper understanding of the material.
- Reading aloud and shared reading that promotes language development, phonemic awareness, and overall reading skills.
- Reading workshops and independent reading which allow students to explore texts independently and in group settings, encouraging a love for reading and a deeper engagement with various literary genres.