Help Your Young Child Develop a Love for Learning
Young children love to explore their world with the help of technology. That's why kindergarten is a great time to introduce your child to the benefits of quality online learning. K12, the leader in online education for grades K through 12, offers families engaging online kindergarten learning experiences designed to capture a little one's interest and spark their creativity.
How can my child participate in a K12-powered online kindergarten education?
You can find online kindergarten schooling options in K12-powered online public schools, which are available in most states. Online public schools powered by K12 are tuition-free* and include support from state-certified teachers as well as K12's engaging online curriculum with hands-on learning materials delivered right to your door.1 These features mean K12's learning program lets you participate in public school from the safety and comfort of your home.
A Parent's Role in K12-Powered Online Kindergarten
The parent (or another responsible adult) of a K12-powered online kindergarten student serves as the Learning Coach and spends about 3 to 6 hours a day helping their child with lessons and learning activities. The Learning Coach also helps the student stay on schedule, records attendance, and communicates with teachers.
What is K12's online kindergarten curriculum like?
K12's enriching kindergarten curriculum includes online learning opportunities and hands-on activities with manipulatives and other materials suited to small hands. Kindergarten courses include:
- Language Arts/English: Online kindergarten students receive structured lessons on readiness skills through emphasis on phonics, language skills, literature, and handwriting to help develop comprehension, build vocabulary, and promote a lifelong interest in reading.
- Math: Students are introduced to numbers up to 30. They learn through reading, writing, counting, comparing, ordering, adding, and subtracting. Students solve problems and encounter early concepts in place value, time, length, weight, and capacity. They also study two- and three-dimensional figures.
- Science: Students begin to develop observation skills as they learn about the five senses, the composition of the earth, and the basic needs of plants and animals. Students also explore measurement, matter, the seasonal cycle, our earth, motion, and astronomy.
- History: Students learn the basics of world geography and are introduced to American history and civics. Supplementary lessons introduce symbols representing American freedom; the laws, rights, and responsibilities of citizens; U.S. cultures and traditions; and basic economic concepts.
- World Languages: Beginners to world languages learn through contextual interpretation and imitation. This appealing adventure for young minds includes integrated, game-based rewards to keep students motivated.
- Art: Students are introduced to line, shape, color, and more. They learn about portraits and landscapes, and realistic and abstract art. Students explore paintings, sculpture, and architecture, and create artworks similar to the works they have studied.
- Music: Students build foundational skills through singing, dancing, virtual instruments, listening maps, and authentic sound recordings. They learn about musical elements, explore music around the world, and perform seasonal and celebratory songs.
K12-Powered Schools: Your Online Kindergarten School Source
K12 offers online kindergarten school options through K12-powered online public schools across the United States. Find a school in your state, or learn more about K12-powered, tuition-free* online schools.
1 Course materials vary by course and school. Please check with your school about offline course materials.
**Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs. Educational materials vary by school and course.