Individualized for Success
We believe every student deserves an individualized education, with careful attention to each learner's unique strengths, needs, and interests. With an individualized education, students gain the skills, knowledge, and confidence they need to help them succeed.
K12 provides online education solutions for students in pre-K through 12th grade.
We believe every student is uniquely brilliant and deserves a high-quality education to help them thrive in school and ultimately be prepared for post-secondary education or going on to a career. Students graduating from full-time online schools receive a traditional high school diploma, and many have gone on to attend top colleges and universities.
Which Option Meets Your Needs?
K12 offers three distinct options to meet a variety of needs.
Tuition-Free Online Public School Options
Tuition-Free online public school options, powered by K12 and available in more than 33 states, offer students a high-quality education. Students receive:
- Award-winning online curriculum and hands-on materials
- Instruction from state-certified teachers
- Access to robust course offerings that include core subjects in multiple levels, world languages, and a wide range of electives
- An individualized learning plan tailored to each student's strengths and needs
- Access to an online community and a variety of support, all designed to help students feel connected and engaged
K12's online public school programs include multiple types of schools:
- Virtual Academies are statewide and offer the K12 program online for grades K through 12
- Insight Schools help middle and high school students and their families overcome academic obstacles with a unique and highly supportive approach to learning
- Blended Schools are full-time, five-day-a-week that combine a hybrid of the best of online education with a traditional onsite location
Online Private Schools
K12's tuition-based online private schools offer flexible programs that allow students to meet their individual goals. All K12 private programs:
- Use industry-leading, online curriculum with support from teachers, academic counselors, and coaches
- Offer multiple start dates throughout the school year for maximum flexibility
- Offer full- and part-time options nationally and internationally
Additionally, many K12 International Academy courses can be used for NCAA athletic eligibility.
Learn more about K12's online private schools.
Individual and Supplemental Courses
Individual online courses from K12's extensive award-winning curriculum are available for purchase to supplement your current education or serve as the foundation for your homeschool curriculum. Some courses offer the option of instruction by a trained online teacher. Choose from:
- Core courses at multiple levels for students in pre-K through grade 12
- World languages and a wide range of electives (such as Journalism, Web Design, Fine Art, and more)
- Career Technical Education (CTE) courses across different pathways (such as Entrepreneurship, Culinary Arts, Criminology, and much more)
- Credit recovery courses and summer programs
Learn more about courses for purchase.
How a K12 Online Education Works
In online schooling, the classroom is in the home or on the road, wherever an internet connection is available. Students enrolled in an online public school sometimes gather in virtual classrooms and regularly receive support from their teachers via phone, online meetings, and sometimes face-to-face.
The Online School
Full-time students complete their schoolwork each day through a combination of:
- Online lessons and interactive activities in the Online School (OLS)
- Hands-on, offline activities using provided materials, including textbooks and workbooks
- Real-time interaction with teachers and classmates in a virtual classroom
Online public schools adhere to state standards. Students enrolled full time in an online public school report attendance and take standardized tests and other required assessments.
Watch a video on how online learning works.
The award-winning K12 curriculum is rooted in decades of research in effective educational practices and the insights of cognitive science—the science of how the mind works and how we learn. The K12 curriculum features:
- A comprehensive catalog of courses with engaging online lessons, videos, and interactive games, complemented by hands-on manipulatives and interesting textbooks
- Core subjects and electives, including world languages
- AP®, honors, STEM, and dual credit offerings
- Career Technical Education (CTE) courses, many leading to certification
Expert Teachers Provide Instruction and Support
Teachers are state-certified and trained in the best practices for online instruction, embracing each student's unique brilliance, enhancing their ability to succeed. Many teachers bring years of brick-and-mortar school experience to their online classrooms.
- Teach engaging lessons in virtual classrooms
- Develop individualized learning plans for each student
- Provide individual students with extra help or greater challenges as needed
- Evaluate and provide feedback on student work
- Hold office hours and teacher–parent conferences online and by phone
Teachers also regularly participate in professional development and leadership programs to keep them on the cutting edge of online teaching effectiveness.
Learning Coaches Provide Important Support for Students
While online teachers provide academic instruction and guidance, the Learning Coach (usually a parent) also provides important support. For example, the Learning Coach:
- Helps students organize the learning environment
- Uses provided instructional guides to help students make progress through daily lessons
- Uses online tools to help students log attendance and manage their schedules
- Communicates frequently with teachers in order to foster students' success
Learning Coaches receive support in various ways, from written guides to live online sessions with other Learning Coaches. In general, the Learning Coach is most actively involved in the elementary grades, while less time is required as middle and high school students become more independent.
Students can participate in activities with fellow classmates and their families, including educational field trips and social activities. K12 also provides an online space where students can engage with peers from across the nation and around the world.
Students in all grades can participate in:
- Dozens of online clubs
- Engaging competitions focusing on art, music, STEM, and poetry
High school students have access to:
- College and career workshops
- Volunteer opportunities
- Leadership development programs
- Prom and graduation ceremonies