Online Homeschool Resources
Whether you're interested in online homeschool or educating your child at home with an online public school, K12 can help. We have years of experience providing quality online K-12 education for both approaches to learning. But do you know the difference between them? Read on to take a closer look.
K12 understands the challenges and rewards of homeschooling. For more than 16 years, we've been a leader in providing students with an outstanding K–12 education using the technology of online homeschool courses.
Whether you're looking to supplement your child's traditional brick-and-mortar education or to expand your own homeschooling program, K12 stands with your desire to bring excellence to your child's education.
Courses, Commitment, Confidence
K12 offers one of the largest online K–12 curriculums in the industry for those who want to homeschool, featuring more than 240 courses—from preschool to advanced high school—that have received awards and recognitions.
K12's online courses provide solid foundations in math, language arts, science, and history, as well as art, music, world languages, and an array of electives for homeschool students. There's something to interest every student, no matter where they are on their educational journey.
Engaging and Interactive
Our courses are challenging, engaging, and highly interactive.
We've also enhanced the rich multimedia experience of many of our online courses with a wealth of hands-on materials such as textbooks, illustrated storybooks, paints and paintbrushes, CDs, inflatable globes, and even items such as microscopes and rock-and-mineral kits for science lessons.*
Our dedication to every detail means you can use our online l curriculum to homeschool with confidence, knowing we share your commitment to seeing your child excel.
The K12 Homeschool Curriculum At A Glance
240+ online homeschool courses for pre-kindergarten through high school
EmbarK12 preschool program gives young learners a fun way to get ready for kindergarten
Math, language arts, science, history, art, and music courses for K–8
World languages: Spanish, French, German, and Latin for grades 3–12;
Chinese for middle school and up; and Japanese for high school
A wide selection of honors and Advanced Placement® courses for high school
High school electives such as Personal Finance, Health Science, Sports and
Entertainment Marketing, Digital Photography, and Web Design
SAT and ACT test prep courses
Keeping It Simple
We're also mindful of making your experience as simple and straightforward as possible. All of our online homeschool courses come with thorough, easy-to-use planning and progress tools, assessments and answer keys, and teaching guides.
On Your Own or With Our Teachers
When you don't want to go it alone through independent study, our K–8 online homeschool courses and all of our world language courses feature the option of support from professional, credentialed teachers. And for high school, where the demands of the curriculum are greater, all of our courses come with teacher support.
Keeping It Affordable
K12 also wants to help you give your child a quality education without breaking the bank. We offer a variety of ways to pay, including subscription plans and discounts for prepaying, multiple courses, multiple students, and military personnel.
K12 is the leading provider serving K–12 online schools. The K12 program is offered through tuition-free* online public schools for grades K–12.
Key Differences Between Online Public School at Home and Homeschool
Online public schools are not homeschools, nor are the students who attend online schools considered "homeschooled." In fact, there are many differences.
Most K12-powered online public schools:
- Have state-certified public school teachers
- Comply with mandatory state assessment test requirements
- Comply with state attendance policies and academic progress requirements
- Have a school office for administrative staff
- Have an established curriculum determined by the school
- Issue lesson and course grades, transcripts, report cards, and conduct parent conferences
- Have strong school administrators (e.g., principal, assistant principal, etc.)
- Comply with applicable state and federal academic and fiscal accountability requirements
Online Public School: Teacher Support
K12-powered online public schools students have state-certified public school teacher(s). Teachers:
- Provide instruction, guidance, and support
- Track student attendance and academic progress
- Evaluate student work
- Work in partnership with parents or another responsible adult acting as the student's Learning Coach
- Consult with parents to recommend remedial or enrichment programs and make student grade placement and promotion decisions
- Communicate regularly with their students via phone, email, and scheduled online "office hour" meetings
- Organize social and academic outings; promote school community
Online Public School: Parents' Role
In K12-powered online public schools, parents/ or other responsible adult acting as the student’s learning coach are active participants in their child's education, working in close partnership with teachers. Parents/ Learning Coaches also:
- Work closely with their child and guiding them through daily lessons
- Actively participate in their child's daily learning
- Record their child’s attendance
- Regularly communicate with teachers to assess their child's learning, academic achievement, etc.
- Become actively involved in parent groups, workshops, school events, and student activities
*Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs. Educational materials vary by school and course.