Any student in kindergarten through twelfth grade may participate.
There will be a first, second, and third place winner from each grade.
Trophy, poetry journal, and popular book of poetry by favorite author (student's choice)
Trophy and poetry journal
K¹² reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash. A winner is not a recipient of a prize until he/she has been verified or notified as a winner by K¹² via e-mail or phone. All prize details are at K¹²'s sole discretion. Limit: One prize per household per category.
Judging and Winners
A panel of judges will review the entries by grade-level category, based on the following criteria:
- Use of theme "Animals in Poetry"
- Concise and accurate use of language
- Work that engages and lifts the heart of its readers
All participants' and winners' poetry will be featured in K¹²'s national online Student Poetry Collection.
- Poems must be original. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
- Poems must be 200 words or less.
- Poems must be created in the K¹² Poetry Contest template.
1. Use the provided template to create and submit your poem. Save your PDF file following this convention:
[your last name]_[city, state]_[grade]_poem.doc
2. When you are ready to submit your poem, go to the URL you received in your e-mail and fill out the registration form. Next, you will be prompted to upload your work.
3. After you've uploaded your work, please save your original work in case further documentation is needed.
Complete and submit the online entry form. Make sure to complete all of the required fields. Work received without fully completed entry forms will be disqualified.
Deadline for Entries
All entries must be received no later than 10:00 PM (ET) on Thursday, May 2, 2013. Entries submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Notification of Winners
Winners will be selected and notified by K¹² in May via phone or e-mail.