Online Alternatives to Homeschooling in Washington, D.C.
When considering homeschooling in Washington, D.C. for your student, think about the benefits and support of an online school program. K12-powered schools combine the structure of traditional public school with the convenience of homeschool. A foundation for your student’s future success is possible with the K12-powered online schools in Washington, D.C.
We’re committed to meeting the needs of diverse learners and helping them thrive, in their own place, and at their own pace. Your student can learn and grow wherever there’s an internet connection. If your family is looking for an alternative to homeschooling in Washington, D.C., explore the tuition-free* K12-powered school.
Is online school at home a good fit for my student?
A successful education is not a one-size-fits-all experience. K12-powered online school in Washington, D.C. is designed to offer students in grades TK–8 a tuition-free* education with interactive and engaging curriculum.
Students attend regularly scheduled online classes and complete coursework and activities that reinforce lessons. Personalized learning plans allow Washington, D.C.-licensed teachers to guide progress and tailor teaching to student needs. In grades TK–5 the curriculum is mastery based, allowing students to work at the pace best suited for their learning process. In middle school, the curriculum is grade-based and students must keep on pace with the class.
Similar to homeschooling in Washington, D.C., parents and guardians play an active, important role in their child’s education. As a Learning Coach, you or another responsible adult you choose, will help keep your student on track with assignments, communicate with teachers, provide motivation, and more.
Virtual and in-person field trips, extracurricular activities, community service opportunities, and clubs encourage students to connect with peers and classmates.** Explore the K12 resources available for both students and parents to find success with online learning.
What do homeschooling in Washington, D.C. and K12-powered schools have in common?
Families can experience the best of both worlds by combining the convenience of homeschool with the structure of traditional public school through a K12-powered online school.
In both traditional and online settings, students experience personalized learning and parents are actively involved to assist along the way. K12-powered online school combines engaging online lessons taught by Washington, D.C.-licensed teachers with hands-on learning materials.† Activities complement online learning and allow students to master lesson objectives while spending time away from the computer screen.
K12-powered schools adhere to state testing, school accountability, and attendance policies, just as brick-and-mortar schools do, and graduates earn a high school diploma. Licensed teachers and administrators lead the established curriculum developed by educational professionals.
The K12-powered online homeschool in Washington, D.C. can also provide important social opportunities. Students can participate in extracurricular activities, such as online clubs and social pursuits, to interact with their peers.**
Learn more about online public schools to see if a K12-powered education is right for your child.
Schools Available for Washington, D.C. Students
Reach your full potential with a high-quality, virtual public charter school dedicated to providing an innovative educational environment for students in grades K–8.
- Be part of D.C.'s only virtual charter school.
- Accelerate your learning with advancement for gifted students
- Jump-start your career with exploration courses for grades 6–8.
Achieve a quality, personalized, private education through our engaging, interactive K12 curriculum and a dedicated, supportive team of teachers and advisors. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Accelerate your learning with dual enrollment, early college, AP®, and NCAA-approved courses.
- Jump-start your future with career and college prep, including career-focused electives beginning in 6th grade.
- Learn at your pace with year-round start dates enrolling full-time, part-time, and individual courses.
Achieve academic excellence while developing your Christian character and finding your life's purpose in a faith-based, supportive environment. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Integrate a Christian worldview into your life—the classroom and beyond—through our Servant Learner framework.
- Develop your character and grow in your faith through in-person activities at faith centers in select cities.
- Participate in weekly faith groups and chapel services to connect with other students who share your beliefs.
Are you an independent learner seeking a highly flexible education? With more than 40 years of experience in self-paced distance learning, reach your potential any time, year-round. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Accelerate your learning with 170+ self-paced courses with multiple levels, including honors and AP®.
- Earn college credits while still in high school with dual enrollment.
- Assure your future—we awarded 771 high school diplomas in 2022, with 99.4% of students reporting college acceptance.
Are you a highly motivated learner? Earn a premier, private college preparatory education online and get the tools to excel at top-tier universities. Affiliated with The George Washington University.
- Jump-start your future with one-to-one college counseling and unique dual enrollment opportunities.
- Prepare for life outside the classroom with our Journeys symposium.
- Unlock your future—100% of graduates are accepted to college, from Harvard to UC Berkeley.
Reach your full potential with an inclusive, engaging curriculum and the tools and guidance to be a successful global citizen. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Graduate trilingual with our Early World Language Program.
- Get access to seminar-based instruction with a collaborative, discussion-focused approach
- Graduate with your associate's degree with our dual enrollment program.
*Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help you address your technological and computer needs.
**Extracurricular activities and clubs vary by school. Please check with your school.
†Course materials vary by course and school; please check with your school about offline course materials.