Course Purchase FAQs
How do I purchase courses from K12?
You can purchase courses from K12 using our online store, or by calling us at 866.512.6463.
What is available for purchase online?
All K12 courses are available for purchase online. We offer over 100 K–8 independent study courses, which do not require a teacher, as well as more than 240 K–12 teacher-supported courses (including world languages).
What payment options do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards—Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. For orders placed via phone, we also accept wire transfers.
Do you offer a payment plan option?
Yes. For independent study courses (K–8 courses without teacher support), you have the following options:
- You may purchase the course in full and pay the total amount today
- You may purchase the course in full and spread your payments over 12 months
- You may purchase the course one month at a time, paying through automatic renewal until you cancel.
If you purchase an individual K–12 course with teacher support, you may purchase the course in full only.
When can I begin a course? Where can I get the start-date information?
We offer start dates every 2 weeks for K12 independent study courses. K12 teacher-supported courses have set start dates that you can select from when you purchase the course. All world language courses are also offered every two weeks. You can view the start dates for various courses on our Start Date Options page.
How long will I have access to the course(s) I purchase today?
- For teacher-supported courses, you will have access for 10 months for "full-year" courses and 5 months for semester-long courses. Access begins on the start date of your course.
- For independent study courses, you will have access for 12 months from the start date of your course.
What kinds of discounts are available through K12?
K12 offers the following discounts on independent study courses.
- Volume Discount: The more courses you buy per student, the more you save. Independent study courses starting on the same date may be eligible for discounts up to 25%.
- Sibling Discount: Receive an additional 10% discount on all courses purchased for a sibling, once your first child is enrolled in at least 4 independent study courses starting on the same date.
- Pre-pay Discount: Receive an additional 15% off your course if you pay for the course in full rather than select a 12-month payment plan.
If I add courses later, will I still get the volume discount?
No. You can purchase more courses at any time; however you will not be eligible for the volume discounts for the new courses. The volume and sibling discounts are applicable only for the independent study courses purchased within one transaction (together).
What is the difference between course start date and course activation date?
The course activation date is the date on which you can access a course in the Online School (OLS). The course start date is the date on which the course begins.
- For all independent study courses, the course activation date is the same as the course start date.
- For teacher-supported courses in grades K–8, the course activation date is 7 days prior to course start date, to allow students and learning coaches to become acquainted with the OLS.
- For teacher-supported high school courses, the course activation date is the same as the course start date, although student will have access to an orientation course 7 days before the course start date to help them become acquainted with the online learning platform.
What is the duration of these courses?
The duration of full-year independent study courses is 12 months, and 6 months for semester courses. The duration of teacher-supported courses is 10 months for full year and 5 months for semester courses. Teacher-supported world language courses run for 12 months.
What happens if my child hasn't finished the course at the end of 12 months, and isn't ready to move to the next level?
You have multiple options to extend the course for your child:
- You can purchase a monthly subscription to allow your child to complete the course.
- You can purchase the same course in full again. Once your student completes the course, you can call the K12 Enrollment Center (866.512.6463) and they can exchange that course for the next level course. Please note that the course access will remain open for 12 months from the start date of the first course repurchase, not the course you received upon exchange.
What are your cancellation and refund policies?
For K–8 independent study courses, we offer 30-day money-back guarantee on all course purchases.
- For monthly subscription: If you notify us of cancellation by phone and speak to an agent, your access will be cancelled the same day at 11:59 pm EST. You will not be charged any future payments. Charges already incurred will not be prorated, however, and refunds will not be available for all or any part of the month in which you cancelled. Voicemails will not be considered notification; you must speak to an agent in order to cancel a course.
- For courses purchased in full or on a payment plan: If you notify us of cancellation by phone within 30 days of the course start date, you will receive a 100% refund. No refund will be given after 30 days of the course start date. Voicemails will not be considered notification; you must speak to an agent in order to cancel a course.
- Materials purchases are eligible for a refund only when returned unused in the first 30 days of your course purchase date or course start date (whichever is later).
For teacher-supported courses, which are provided through K12 International Academy on a part-time basis, a written request to drop a course or to withdraw the child from the school must be provided via e-mail or in letter form. Refunds are calculated based on the withdrawal date, which is the postmark and/or electronic imprint date on the written notification. Specific information on the percentage of tuition available for a refund is outlined below:
|Course Type||100% Refund||50% Refund||No Refund|
|Non-Summer Courses||Prior to Term Start||Day 1–Day 30 of Term||After Day 30 of Term*|
|Summer Courses||Prior to Term Start||Day 1–Day 5 of Term||After Day 5 of Term**|
*Course drops are not permitted during the final 30 instructional days of a term.
**Summer course drops are not permitted during the final five instructional days of a term.
There are no refunds on materials or shipping charges for teacher-supported courses.
For more details, please read the K12 International Academy refund policy.
What is a Monthly Subscription?
Monthly subscription offers students access to a K–8 course on a month-to-month basis. This subscription automatically renews each month unless you call to cancel.
The Monthly Subscription option works best if you:
- Want to try a course before committing fully. Select this option if you aren’t sure if this course is right for you.
- Plan to use a course as a supplement to another program. If you are planning to cover only selected topics from the course, or perhaps not use it for a full 12 months, then this option may be more cost effective for you.
- Plan to move quickly through the course. If you believe you can complete a course within 7 months instead of the typical year, then purchasing this option may be more cost effective for you.
When and how can I renew my monthly subscription?
Your monthly subscription is automatically renewed at the end of each month once you sign up. Please call 866.512.2273 (866.K12.CARE) to cancel the subscription.
How do I access my courses and lessons?
If you have already established an account with K12, please use your existing username and password to access the online course by clicking OLS Login on the top right corner of the K12 homepage.
If you haven't already established a K12 account, we will e-mail your registration and login information (username and password) at least one business day before the start of your course.
I purchased a K12 course for my oldest child. Will I have to buy all the materials again for my younger child taking the same course?
No. One of the features of the K12 program is the flexibility to buy only the materials you need. You can purchase just the "Consumable Kit" for your second child for many of the K12 courses, allowing you to reuse materials you've already purchased. The Consumable Kit includes workbooks and other items from the Standard Kit that are required to complete the course, but that cannot be reused. The Consumable Kit also includes the Teacher and Student Pages.
Will I have access to my courses in summer if I buy K12 courses mid-year?
You will have access to your K12 courses for the entire time period (full year or semester) you purchased the courses for.
I just bought a course online and realize that I selected the wrong course. Can I change it?
Yes. Call K12 at 866.512.6463 to exchange the course. Please remember that courses can only be exchanged up until 30 days following the course start date.
How can I place an international order?
You can place an international order by calling us at 866.637.1985 (or 703.436.3544).
Shipping charges for international orders are determined at time of order and will be communicated to you prior to order placement. International orders shipping time frame will vary upon the service selected for the order. Please note: Orders to APO addresses can only be shipped via USPS and no tracking information will be provided.
What is charged to my credit card at the time of the order?
At the time of order, your credit card is charged for:
- Materials and shipping
- Total course fee if purchased in full
For monthly subscription and courses purchased through multiple payments, the first month's fee will be charged upon course activation.
Can I pick my bill date?
Yes. Your bill date is same as your course start date, and you can select the course start date at the time of course purchase.
Why do I see multiple charges throughout the month on my credit card?
Your credit card will be charged a monthly amount if you selected either the monthly subscription or payment plan option. The charge date shown on your credit card is based on your course start date(s). As a result, if you selected different course start dates for various courses, you will see separate charges for each of those courses.
Why do I receive multiple confirmation e-mails?
You will receive multiple e-mails if you purchased courses for multiple students, purchased teacher-supported courses, or purchased courses with differing start dates. These e-mails will also provide you with answers to important questions regarding our cancellation policies and materials tracking, as well as information on how to get started with your courses. The e-mail will also contain details regarding how to submit verification information required for teacher-supported courses.
What shipping method do you use for materials?
The default shipping method for all orders is UPS ground. However, there are a few exceptions:
- Shipments to HI, AK, and PR go through UPS 2-day air
- Shipments to other countries go through UPS International or DHL
- Shipments to PO boxes, APO, and other military addresses go through USPS
I just bought a course online and realized that I selected the wrong payment option. Can I change it?
Yes. Just call K12 at 866.512.6463 to correct the error and select the correct payment option.
How do I notify K12 of a change in name, address, e-mail, or phone?
Please call K12 at 866.512.2273.