About First Grade
Advancing to first grade brings its own set of opportunities and challenges for young learners. With their kindergarten year behind them, many students are excited for more robust learning experiences, while some still need frequent breaks and extra time to process what they’re learning. Because of the individual needs of their students, many families of Alabama first graders are discovering the benefits of personalized, online learning powered by K12.
How does K12-powered first grade in Alabama work?
Eligible Alabama first graders can enroll in a tuition-free* K12-powered public school where they’ll enjoy a personalized learning program as part of an education experience that includes instruction from state-licensed teachers. Students attend online class sessions with their teachers and access daily coursework using K12’s interactive curriculum. Because the courses are web-based, students can log in from any computer with an internet connection, so learning becomes a lifestyle, rather than any particular place or time.
Students in first grade also do schoolwork offline with the help and guidance of their Learning Coach—usually a parent or guardian or another responsible adult. Students in K12-powered schools often enjoy having time to socialize and learn in various school-sponsored outings and events as well. Many K12-powered schools are pleased to organize field trips and social outings which give students a chance to make friends and connect with their school community. Many families of first graders find this to be a meaningful and essential part of their online education experience.
The Role of the Learning Coach
Another substantial benefit parents point to when choosing a K12-powered online school is being able to play a more significant role in their child’s learning. A first-grade student’s Learning Coach should plan to spend 4 to 6 hours each school day assisting their student with assigned tasks and completing other education support duties such as corresponding with the teacher and logging attendance.
Click to learn more about the role of the Learning Coach in K12-powered education programs.
What are K12 first grade courses like?
The K12 elementary curriculum is fun and engaging, featuring eye-catching graphics, helpful learning tools, and interactive games. Students are guided through core concepts in math, science, history, and language arts, as well as art and music. In addition to online lessons, Alabama first grade students spend time using hands-on education materials such as printed books, math manipulatives, and art supplies.†
Interested in seeing what the K12 curriculum is like? Watch a sample online elementary school lesson.
Reach your full potential with a personalized approach to education for students in grades K–12.
- Get on the path to success with flexible, individualized instruction.
- Accelerate your future with career and college prep and honors and AP® courses for grades 9–12.
- Earn your diploma—graduation is guaranteed!
Prepare for college, career, and beyond with personalized future-focused learning.
- Jump-start your future with college credits, industry certifications, and internships while in high school.
- Discover your passion with career-focused electives for grades 6–12.
- Be set up for success with flexible, individualized instruction.
- Full-time, tuition-free online public school option with support from state-certified teachers
- An active, supportive school community with a range of extracurricular activities
- A robust advanced learner program with bood and educational materials
- Full-time, innovative, online school with flexible pacing; Early graduation for those that qualify
- Vibrant community with in-person events, social activities, and clubs; After school virtual STEM activities provided by Dallas County STEM
- Dual enrollment opportunities – a high school student may earn his/her diploma while gaining college credits
Achieve a quality, personalized, private education through our engaging, interactive K12 curriculum and a dedicated, supportive team of teachers and advisors. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Accelerate your learning with dual enrollment, early college, AP®, and NCAA-approved courses.
- Jump-start your future with career and college prep, including career-focused electives beginning in 6th grade.
- Learn at your pace with year-round start dates enrolling full-time, part-time, and individual courses.
Achieve academic excellence while developing your Christian character and finding your life's purpose in a faith-based, supportive environment. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Integrate a Christian worldview into your life—the classroom and beyond—through our Servant Learner framework.
- Develop your character and grow in your faith through in-person activities at faith centers in select cities.
- Participate in weekly faith groups and chapel services to connect with other students who share your beliefs.
A Catholic-inspired private school in partnership with Marian University, MU Prep offers high-quality academics and flexible, personalized learning.
- Education rooted in Catholic-inspired faith and framed by Franciscan values.
- Individualized support plans designed around strengths and needs.
- Licensed teachers with online experience and a faith-based perspective.
Are you an independent learner seeking a highly flexible education? With more than 40 years of experience in self-paced distance learning, reach your potential any time, year-round. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Accelerate your learning with 170+ self-paced courses with multiple levels, including honors and AP®.
- Earn college credits while still in high school with dual enrollment.
- Assure your future—we awarded 771 high school diplomas in 2022, with 99.4% of students reporting college acceptance.
Reach your full potential with an inclusive, engaging curriculum and the tools and guidance to be a successful global citizen. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Graduate trilingual with our Early World Language Program.
- Get access to seminar-based instruction with a collaborative, discussion-focused approach
- Graduate with your associate's degree with our dual enrollment program.
*Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.
†Course materials vary by course and school. Please check with your school about offline course materials.