How it Works (K-8)
Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield Commonwealth Virtual School (MAVA@GCVS) uses the K¹² curriculum, which is accessed via an online program with dedicated teacher support, as well as through more traditional methods. Materials are delivered right to the family's doorstep–including books, CDs, and even microscopes and cell samples.
We also partner parents and students with certified teachers to help guide and track their progress through the curriculum.
Student-to-student interaction is emphasized, too, so we ensure MAVA@GCVS students have plenty of opportunities to socialize with their peers.
Who is this intended for?
In 2014–2015, MAVA@GCVS will serve Massachusetts students in grades K–8 who are able to successfully participate in a virtual school environment. Several target groups of students have been identified who will have priority for acceptance:
- Students currently enrolled in the Massachusetts Virtual Academy at Greenfield;
- Students who reside in Greenfield, Massachusetts;
- Students with disabilities;
- Students out of school due to pregnancy or parenting;
- Students who have been bullied or who are out of school due to other safety concerns;
- Students who seek an advanced coursework not available in their current school;
- Students who must work during the day; and
- Students in training for competitive arts or sports
What are the costs?
MAVA@GCVS is a commonwealth virtual school so there is no tuition for Massachusetts resident students. The entire K¹² curriculum is provided free of charge.
How do I get started?
Visit our How to Enroll in MAVA section for more information about how to start the enrollment process.