OTH092: Introduction to Health Sciences
This list is representative of the materials provided or used in this course. Keep in mind that the actual materials used may vary, depending on the school in which you are enrolled, and whether you are taking the course as Independent Study.
For a complete list of the materials to be used in this course by your enrolled student, please visit MyInfo. All lists are subject to change at any time.
Scope & Sequence : Scope & Sequence documents describe what is covered in a course (the scope) and also the order in which topics are covered (the sequence). These documents list instructional objectives and skills to be mastered. K12 Scope & Sequence documents for each course include:
Will we ever find a cure for cancer? What treatments are best for conditions like diabetes and asthma? How are illnesses like meningitis, tuberculosis, and measles identified and diagnosed? Health sciences provide the answers to questions such as these. This course introduces students to the various disciplines within the health sciences, including toxicology, clinical medicine, and biotechnology. Students explore the importance of diagnostics and research in the identification and treatment of diseases. The course presents information and terminology for the health sciences and examines the contributions of different health science areas.back to top
One Semesterback to top
Noneback to top
Unit 1: The World of Health Sciences
Unit 2: Careers in Health Science
Unit 3: The Life Span
Unit 4: Technical Skills
Unit 5: Health and Wellness
Health Sciences Midterm Exam
Unit 6: Leadership and Teamwork
Unit 7: Health Communication
Unit 8: Ethics and Legal Issues
Unit 9: Safety
Unit 10: Informatics and Technology
Health Sciences Final Exam
- Discuss the history of health sciences.
- Explain the different areas of the healthcare system.
- Examine different types of healthcare sites.
- Consider different payment options in the healthcare system.
- Discuss some of the trends affecting the health sciences.
- Discuss the different levels of service in the healthcare field.
- Learn about some of the common characteristics shared by healthcare professionals.
- Examine different health science professions and their contributions to the field.
- Discuss some of the responsibilities within health science professions.
- Learn more about licensing, certification, and educational requirements in health science careers.
- Define and discuss human development and the different aspects of development.
- Identify the different stages of the human life span.
- Examine some of the physical development and changes that occur during each stage of the life span.
- Discuss some of the cognitive development and changes that occur during each stage of the life span.
- Consider some of the health issues that may affect people at each stage of the life span.
- Identify vital signs and how vital signs are measured.
- Review the different systems of measurement that affect health science professions.
- Discuss the steps in performing CPR.
- Examine AEDs and how they are used.
- Discuss some common first aid practices.
- Examine the different dimensions of health.
- Define preventative medicine.
- Discuss aspects of preventative medicine.
- Examine some alternative medical systems.
- Consider some alternative and complementary medical practices.
- Discuss some theories of leadership and leadership styles.
- Identify some of the characteristics that leaders often have.
- Discuss the characteristics of effective healthcare teams.
- Examine steps in building an effective healthcare team.
- Consider some conflict styles and approaches to conflict resolution that people often use.
- Define communication and health communication.
- Discuss some of the characteristics of health communication.
- Examine barriers to effective communication.
- Learn about active listening techniques.
- Explore aspects of body language in healthcare settings.
- Define medical legal terms such as medical malpractice and negligence.
- Discuss the legal responsibilities of health science professionals.
- Identify laws and practices that protect patients in the healthcare system.
- Consider how medical ethics affects the health sciences.
- Explore the legal and ethical issues of medical confidentiality and end-of-life care.
- Discuss blood-borne pathogens and how the risk of exposure can be reduced.
- Understand the actions that a healthcare professional should take if a fire breaks out in a setting with patients.
- Examine how ergonomics help to reduce the risk of pain and injuries for healthcare workers.
- Discuss how to reduce the risk of infections.
- Consider the effects of stress and how stress can be reduced for healthcare professionals.
- Define medical technology and informatics.
- Examine the advantages and disadvantages of electronic data records.
- Consider some of the ways that technology is affecting health communication and informatics.
- Discuss how to write an effective health e-mail.
- Examine how intercultural differences can affect health communication.