OTH037: Hospitality and Tourism
This list is representative of the materials provided or used in this course. Keep in mind that the actual materials used may vary, depending on the school in which you are enrolled, and whether you are taking the course as Independent Study.
For a complete list of the materials to be used in this course by your enrolled student, please visit MyInfo. All lists are subject to change at any time.
Scope & Sequence : Scope & Sequence documents describe what is covered in a course (the scope) and also the order in which topics are covered (the sequence). These documents list instructional objectives and skills to be mastered. K12 Scope & Sequence documents for each course include:
With greater disposable income and more opportunities for business travel, people are traversing the globe in growing numbers. As a result, the hospitality and tourism industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. This course introduces the hospitality and tourism industry, including hotel and restaurant management, cruise ships, spas, resorts, theme parks, and other areas. Student learn about key hospitality issues, the development and management of tourist locations, event planning, marketing, and environmental issues related to leisure and travel. The course also examines some current and future trends in the field.back to top
One Semesterback to top
Noneback to top
Unit 1: Introduction to Hospitality & Tourism
Unit 2: Careers in the Hospitality & Tourism Field
Unit 3: Hotels
Unit 4: Restaurants and Food Service
Hospitality & Tourism Midterm Exam
Unit 5: Travel Planning
Unit 6: Event Planning and Conventions/Exhibitions
Unit 7: Theme Parks and Recreation
Unit 8: Cruise Ships and Resorts
Hospitality & Tourism Final Exam
- Define the parameters and characteristics of the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Examine the areas of business that make up the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Trace the development of the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Discuss the importance of service in the industry.
- Identify and discuss several current trends affecting the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Define career paths and discuss how these affect the hospitality industry.
- Discuss the personal characteristics required in hospitality industry employees.
- Identify and discuss some of the career options in the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Examine the advantages and disadvantages of working in the hospitality industry.
- Discuss job benefit mixes and their role in the hospitality industry.
- Describe different types of hotels.
- Examine how most hotels are organized in terms of staff members.
- Discuss the tasks and responsibilities of departments such as housekeeping, security, and the front office.
- Explore how room counts are generated and why they are used.
- Discuss the practice of overbooking and its possible consequences.
- Describe different types of food-related businesses.
- Define and understand the front of the house versus the back of the house.
- Discuss the functions of the front and back of the house.
- Examine the importance of menus in the operation of a restaurant.
- Consider how managed services differ from restaurants.
- Define tourism and identify the different aspects of tourism.
- Discuss the impact of tourism.
- Examine some of the factors that influence tourism.
- Discuss ecotourism and its place in the tourism industry.
- Evaluate some of the different career positions in tourism promotion.
- Identify and compare some of the different types of meetings and events.
- Discuss career areas in the field of event planning.
- Examine some of the steps in planning an event.
- Consider some of the steps in marketing an event.
- Learn about some of the tasks involved with managing an event.
- Explain leisure and recreation and their place in modern society.
- Compare for-profit and nonprofit recreation sites.
- Identify types of government-sponsored, nonprofit, and commercial recreation.
- Examine the history of amusement and theme parks.
- Discuss the role and responsibilities of amusement and theme park managers.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between cruise ships and ocean liners.
- Understand cruise ship terminology and cabin choices.